Painting process cont’d: Indigo and magenta moods, 30 x 30 inches

In the last post I completed the underpainting, with all the colours in place I can easily work my way around the bouquet rendering the various flowers.  You can see above that I started with the leaves and stems.
In the last post, I completed the underpainting. With all the colours in place, I can easily work my way around the bouquet, rendering the various flowers. You can see above that I started with the leaves and stems.
Moving from the leaves to the stock flowers.  I have also painted in the daisies as they are not the focus go the bouquet.
Moving from the leaves to the stock flowers. I have also painted in the daisies as they are not the focus of the bouquet.
stock flower detail
stock flower detail
The tulips are quickly added, they are just there for contrast.
The tulips are quickly added, they are just there for contrast.
Here is a close-up of the tulips and you can see I have begun to paint in the hyacinths.
Here is a close-up of the tulips and you can see I have begun to paint in the hyacinths.
With the anemones finished the bouquet is done and I can move on to the vase.
With the hyacinths and anemones finished, the bouquet is done and I can move on to the vase.
The underpainting of the vase was simple but with a few extra strokes of paint the vase is complete.
The underpainting of the vase was simple but with a few extra strokes of paint the vase is complete.
Vase and figs detail.  All that is left is the stripes.
Vase and figs detail. All that is left are the stripes.
Here is the finished painting.  A better pic will be uploaded to my website by this weekend.  The blue I used is Old Holland-  Ultramarine Blue.  It turns a gorgeous deep royal blue with a bit of white added.  The background is more of a periwinkle, tying in the blue and magentas and echoing in the hyacinths.  The magentas I used for the stock flowers were various mixes of Windsor Newton Artist's Oils; Permanent Rose, Magenta, and Quinacridone Magenta with a bit of titanium white. Love the deep colours in this one but I will try something similar with a lighter background for a different feeling.
Here is the finished painting. A better pic will be uploaded to my website by this weekend. The blue I used is Old Holland- Ultramarine Blue. It turns a gorgeous deep royal blue with a bit of white added. The background is more of a periwinkle, tying in the blue and magentas and echoing in the hyacinths. The magentas I used for the stock flowers were various mixes of Winsor Newton Artist’s Oils; Permanent Rose, Magenta, and Quinacridone Magenta with a bit of titanium white. Love the deep colours in this one, but I will try something similar with a lighter background for a different feeling.
fig and stripes detail
fig and stripes detail
bouquet close-up
bouquet close-up
anemone close-up
anemone close-up
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s