Just finished: Ranunculus and plums

I have been working really hard this past week.  This is my latest painting which I finished in the wee hours of this morning.  Here is the sketch that I started with.
I have been working really hard this past week. This is my latest painting which I finished in the wee hours of this morning. Here is the sketch that I started with.
The underpainting looks pretty close to what the finished painting will look like.  I really enjoyed painting all the different blues.
The underpainting looks pretty close to what the finished painting will look like. I really enjoyed painting all the different blues.
A close up of the progress on the pitcher and the finished stems.
A close up of the progress on the pitcher and the finished stems.
I finished this in two days.  Without all the details of other vases and plates, I was able to focus on fewer elements.  I enjoyed the simplicity.  I will take a break this weekend and find more inspiration.
‘Blue April, a pitcher of Spring’ 30 x 30 inches, oil on board- I finished this in two days. Without all the details of other vases and plates, I was able to focus on fewer elements. I enjoyed the simplicity. I will take a break this weekend and find more inspiration.

Back in the studio! Working on a 30 x 30 inch still-life

I have been taking a little break from painting and posting things on this blog.  I am back now and feeling rested and excited to get painting again!  I have laid out my paints and my fave palette knives.
I have been taking a little break from painting and posting things on this blog. I am back now and feeling rested and excited to get painting again! I have laid out my paints and my fave palette knives.
Here is my studio at the moment.  I have just finished a quick sketch.  I am using the lilies in the set-up along with a photo reference of a past set-up.  The lilies in the photo reference fit the composition.  When these bloom I will use them in the next painting.  Now, I will add some colour!
Here is my studio at the moment. I have just finished a quick sketch. I am using the lilies in the set-up along with a photo reference of a past set-up. The lilies in the photo reference fit the composition. When these bloom, I will use them in the next painting. Now, I will add some colour!

A whole lotta pomegranates…again

I will be working on a series of spilled fruit paintings for the Morningside Gallery in Edinburgh. This is the first of four that will be available in March. I am working on a 30 x 30 inch cradled panel. Here is the underpainting.
I will be working on a series of spilled fruit paintings for the Morningside Gallery in Edinburgh. This is the first of four that will be available in March. I am working on a 30 x 30 inch cradled panel. Here is the underpainting.
A close-up of the underpainting
A close-up of the underpainting
The whole pomegranates have been finished. I decided to leave it here until tomorrow.
The whole pomegranates have been finished. I decided to leave it here until tomorrow.
close-up of a whole pomegranate
close-up of a whole pomegranate

Painting process: Pink house, yellow field, 30 x 30 cm

I have been working on a series of Suffolk landscapes.  Above is the sketch.  This painting is 30 x 30cm and will be available framed when dry.
I have been working on a series of Suffolk landscapes.  Above is the sketch of the third in the series. 
The underpainting.
The underpainting.
The trees and house in the distance have been painted in with a small palette knife.  I dug and dragged through the paint to create tree trunks and branches.  The house is created with  a few quick marks.
The trees and house in the distance have been painted in with a small palette knife. I dug and dragged through the paint to create tree trunks and branches. The house is created with a few quick marks.
I am working on the yellow field now. I am keeping my marks loose and gestural.
I am working on the yellow field now. I am keeping my marks loose and gestural.
Here is the finished painting.  it took about an 1.5 hours to complete.  I think the small abstracts I recently did helped me to loosen up.  I've been wanting to include a "Suffolk pink" house in one of my landscapes.
Here is the finished painting. it took about an 1.5 hours to complete. I think the small abstracts I recently did helped me to loosen up. I’ve been wanting to include a “Suffolk pink” house in one of my landscapes.  This painting will be available framed.